Do you want to buy or change your armchair?
But when choosing your new companion, it’s a headache in front of so many references!
You don’t know what type of armchair to choose, you hesitate about the color, you wonder if this model will not end up getting bored…
Don’t panic, discover the 5 criteria for choosing the right chair!
WHAT CRITERIA TO CHOOSE YOUR ARM CHAIR?
To choose the right chair, several criteria come into play, inducing one model more than another.
- Use: are you going to use it in relaxation mode in the living room? To work? Will children sit there?
- Comfort: it is essential, an armchair must be comfortable, otherwise you might as well buy a concrete stool!
- Maintenance: dirt and wear being proportional to use, ease of maintenance is a criterion of choice.
- The dimensions: calculate the space you have to find a suitable chair, neither too small nor too big.
- The style: you will not place a retro armchair in a very modern interior, the armchair must match your decor.
01 | CHOOSE YOUR CHAIR ACCORDING TO ITS USE
When choosing your chair, do not underestimate its future use, which has a direct impact on the other criteria.
If it’s used daily by the whole family and you have pets, consider easy-care, sturdy materials like cotton or microfiber.
Are you reserving this piece of furniture for your own little corner?
Bet on a little more preciousness, light colors and noble materials: linen, velvet, leather…
If it’s a side chair and your living room is small, choose folding models that are easily storable.
Need an extra bed?
Think of convertible armchairs, practical for last-minute repairs!
Finally, for outdoor/indoor use, certain materials such as rattan, wicker or wood are ideal for withstanding climatic conditions!
- The size of the armchair and its weight are not to be neglected if it has to be moved often, pushed against the wall or moved closer to the coffee table!
02 | DETERMINE THE LEVEL OF COMFORT EXPECTED FOR YOUR WHEELCHAIR
We are not all equal when it comes to the notion of comfort.
Some will swear by the softness, enjoying literally sinking into the cushions.
Others want more support, lumbar support for example, and will choose a firmer backrest.
If you cannot physically test the chairs you like, find out the density of the seat of the chair you want.
- The density is expressed in Kg/m3. The lower it is, the softer the seat will be, the reverse will therefore induce more firmness.
WHAT TYPE OF FOAM SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR CHAIR?
“High Resilience” (HR) foam is the most appropriate for a lounge chair.
Its density is high and offers very good resistance over the years.
This foam has the ability to deform and then return to its original shape: when you sit down, it molds to your shape, providing flexible support.
Once freed from the weight, it regains its structure and aesthetics.
WHICH FOAM DENSITY TO CHOOSE?
Check the density of the seat first, but be careful because that of the backrest may differ.
- For a comfortable seat, a density between 30 and 35 kg/m3 will be perfect. For the backrest, 20 to 25 Kg/m3 will be sufficient.
03 | THINK MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING FOR YOUR FUTURE CHAIR
Once you have set your sights on THE armchair, you need to keep in mind a few tips to preserve it for as long as possible.
Its placement in your living room should not be the result of chance!
- Keep it away from all sources of heat! Radiators, fireplaces or south-facing bay windows and your leather armchair will crack and tarnish more quickly because of UV rays!
Do not hesitate to draw a protective plaid, if you feel the danger close.
Example: The nice friend who gives you his cat to keep, a family dinner aperitif, your sister who arrives with her newborn and her GERD…
In short, that’s life, stains and wear and tear are inevitable, but we can try to counter them.
Pay attention to the upholstery of your armchair, the cleaning will not be the same and what makes one more beautiful could literally ruin the other!
04 | PAY ATTENTION TO THE DIMENSIONS OF THE CHAIR
Observe your room and think about the use of your chair.
Are you going to spend time working remotely there? Will it be used to watch your favorite series? Will it be used to spend time with your children to read the evening story?
Depending on its use, you will opt for appropriate dimensions with:
- a straight and firm file for use in telework
- a very high backrest for a reading corner
- an inclined and soft backrest for a relaxation area
- armrests for use around the dining table
- The size of your armchair must be harmonious with the morphology and the volume of your living room.
To be comfortably installed, choose a model that will not constrain you.
The wing chair, for example, with its high backrest and pleasant head support, is ideal for hours of reading guaranteed without neck pain.
However, its armrests could be awkward if you plan to work there, laptop on your knees.
- Large dimensions for daily and prolonged use, while a reduced size will be more suitable for temporary seating or for on-the-go use
05 | DEFINE THE STYLE AND COLOR OF YOUR CHAIR
Among the many styles of armchair, here are some categories to narrow your search:
- Right: simple and effective, this is where you will find the widest choice
- Rocking: ideal for relaxation, the rocking chair is also playful
- Suspended: it combines the advantages of the rocking chair while freeing up floor space
- Reclining: go from sitting to lying down for a quick nap
- Convertible: a compact extra bed hidden under the features of a friendly armchair
And let’s not forget these little extras that can make your chair perfect:
- The headrest: for perfect cervical support
- Armrests: practical for supporting the arms in front of a desk, for example
- The footrest: sometimes supplied with the chair, it considerably increases comfort
A COLORFUL CHAIR!
Color may be the easiest element to grasp. However, there are still a few possibilities:
- Harmonize the color of the armchair with that of the sofa and blend it into the general atmosphere of the room
- Use your armchair as a colorful touch that will highlight the other furniture, go for models at Homary!
- Bet on an original armchair, displayed like a work of art, in the middle of a neutral living room!
- Whatever your choice, never forget the golden rule in decoration: no more than 3 colors, at the risk of switching from chic to rough…
The velvet armchair is one of the trendiest pieces with a deliciously baroque look.
It gives your interior a certain chic, playing with the reflections of its material.
Its velvety touch is a real delicacy and you may not want to leave it!
Able to take on a form that is as contemporary as it is retro, velvet is now used everywhere.
So, if you fall for the class of the velvet armchair, visit the buying guide dedicated to it!
Indispensable for recreating an authentic Nordic atmosphere, the Scandinavian armchair is the essential piece for lovers of the genre.
There are many Scandinavian armchair models, whose styles can be diametrically opposed.
They can sport a retro, masculine or contemporary look.
To recognize it at first glance, know that the oblique feet, also called compass feet, are one of its primary characteristics.
For those wishing to integrate a Scandinavian armchair into their decor, discover the buying guide for Scandinavian armchairs.